slowing the progression of PD via intermittent fasting

Home Forums Your Thoughts slowing the progression of PD via intermittent fasting

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Pamela Quinn 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

nelson adler

Intermittent fasting, defined as taking in no more than than 500 calories per day, once or twice a week, may significantly slow the progression of (as well as reduce the risk of developing) Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s disease.

“As is similar to what happens when muscles are exercised, the neurons in the brain benefit from being mildly stressed.” says Mark Mattston, Ph.D.,chief of the Laboratory of Neuroscience at the National Institute on Aging. Neurons in the brain became more active when lab mice (or our ancestors, as the theory goes) were hungrily seeking food.

“Fasting imposes more stress on the cells, but in a good way. There’s an increase in adaptive stress responses when people intermittently fast that is good for maintaining the brain” says Mattston. Conversely, a negative type of stress is imposed on the brain when it is overfed.

The fast consists of water or unsweetened tea, along with raw or cooked vegetables. One should begin fasting one day per week, and proceed from there, with a doctor’s approval.

#1308 Reply

Pamela Quinn

Dear Nelson,

I’ve heard conflicting theories about fasting and PD. Some say it releases toxins too quickly for the PD body to handle…..I don’t know enough about it but I would try and get more than one opinion before doing it. You might log onto Smart Patients and see if another patient has info as well.
    Best,
    Pam

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: slowing the progression of PD via intermittent fasting
Your information: